Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Still No Pediatrician

Matt and I interviewed a pediatrician today, to see if she would be a good fit for our little family. We were pretty much underwhelmed. She is a Tucson hippie with thick, black, cartoonish eyebrows, funky wool socks paired with clogs, and more worrisome, she didn't give adequate answers to our biggest questions. We are meeting with another pediatrician tomorrow, hopefully we'll like him better.

I visited the NICU much earlier in the day than I normally do, and I lucked out because Drake was wide awake and starving when I arrived. He was rip-roaring ready for a bottle! He coordinated his breathing, sucking and swallowing much better than he has on any previous bottle, which means he's one step closer to nippling all of his feedings. He was absolutely exhausted by the end of the bottle, so his nurse gavage fed the rest of his meals to allow him to rest. But some day soon he'll be strong enough and coordinated enough to suckle all of his meals. I can't wait! Drake had another good weight gain day yesterday, topping the scale at 4lb 2.7 oz.

Little Leo is hanging in there. He was having quite a few "desats" (desaturations) when I first arrived, where his blood oxygen level was dipping too low. It turns out that the poor guy's nasal cannula and his little bitty nose were plugged up with boogers. His nurse replaced his cannula and suctioned out his nose, and voila - his blood oxygen jumped up. Leo put up a huge fight when the nurse was suctioning his nose. It was very difficult to see him so upset, but wonderful to see that he has so much fight in him.

When I left the NICU, Leo's cannula was flowing 35% oxygen, down from 40% yesterday. His nurse tried to bottle feed him too, but it didn't go too well. Leo loved having the bottle in his mouth, but he didn't quite know what to do with it. We'll try again in a day or so, but it could be awhile before he's truly ready to bottle feed. Leo also had a good weight gain day yesterday, packing on just over an ounce, for a total of 2 lb 14.2 oz. He is so, so close to 3 pounds. Keep at it little guy, you can do it!

No pictures today... it was a short visit. I'll post a picture tomorrow!

1 comment:

grammy and poppy said...

I love the blog and hearing the day to day antics of the little guys. We are blessed to have a lot of friends and family who want to keep tabs on them.
The picure of the 'brotherly hug'was just adorable. I thank the nurse who took it. Grammy and Poppy