Karol and I attended two feedings each for Drake and Leo. While we were there we learned that Leo took some of two different bottles the night before, which is a major step in the right direction. It's a lot of work for him to feed from the bottles so he usually doesn't last for the entire thing. One thing that that seems to be holding him back is the nasal cannula that supplies him the supplemental oxygen. It must be very difficult to get good breaths with that thing up his nose while sucking on a nipple. However the little tyke gives it his all until he can't suck any more. One of these days all that hard work will pay off and his development will take off just like his big brother Drake. Leo gained 0.4 oz since yesterday and now weighs in at a whopping 3 lb 3.2 oz. One thing I have noticed lately is that Leo is becoming more tolerant of activity around him and doesn't complain as much when handling and feeding him, which is also good to see.
Today we also got a few pictures of him without the "nose plug", as I call it. It's the first time I have had a good look at him without anything attached to his face, and he definitely looks identical to Drake, just smaller and skinnier. In the pictures below the red spots on the side of Leo's face are irritated spots from the tape they use to hold the cannula in place.


Drake gained 0.5 oz from the previous weigh in and is now at 4 lb 12.2 oz. His breathing and heartbeats are almost perfect and has very few "preemie" episodes, like oxygen desaturations and bradycardias. I don't remember if this has been mentioned before but Drake now has legitimate baby fat on his face, arms, and legs. Our afternoon nurse today asked us to bring in his car seat tomorrow to make sure it is the correct size for him before he goes home, a sign that he might be getting closer to that landmark. We still get differing opinions on when that might be, however if I had to guess I would say sometime between Christmas and New Year's day.


Overall it was a great visit today. The boys love being held and are very sweet. Both of them absolutely love being in the same crib, and when one is removed for feeding and changing, the other becomes fussy and agitated (especially Leo). A nurse remarked to me that in her experience this is unusual for most twins. Maybe it has something to do with them being identical. Who knows. It is unclear what will happen when Drake goes home and Leo is by himself. It pains me to think about it, but I know Leo has been a fighter his whole life so he will do just fine.
8 comments:
Nice work Matt. Leo sure looks excited to be free of the hardware. And that shot of Drake makes me want to take a nap. :-)
Matt, it was wonderful to hear your voice on the blog this morning. The pictures of the boys are too wonderful.
I can see the chub on Drake's face, and Leo is quite the little man, isn't he?
You are all in my thoughts and prayers, and yes, Matt, this blog is invaluable. It's the first site I go to in the morning, and I reread it during lulls in the day.
I love all the new pictures each day. It makes me want to cuddle the boys, but I know that's for later, when they're stronger and they're both home with Mom and Dad.
Matt, thank you for updating the blog. We know there will be times it is impossible to do so, but it is fabulous to hear the updates and see the new pictures. Yesterday's are especially sweet, and I can't wait to see Leo without the nose plug with my own eyes. He looks so teeny, but he's bigger than he was, and before we know it, he'll have pushed past 4 lbs too. Drake is putting on the chub, so I think perhaps it's now apropos that Leo can sometimes wear the onesie I decorated? Love you guys so much, hugs from Phoenix! Nana
Oh my gosh, those pictures brought tears to my eyes, they are so fragile and precious...the gift of life is absolutely AMAZING.
I wrote Karol a long e-mail this AM
and now I'm so happy to hear from Matt.It would be so wonderful if even one of the boys came home while I was there.I know they must be even more adorable in person and I can't wait!
Aunt Carole
I am downloading the blogspot and taking it to work and to Sburg.You don't know how much we appreciate the postings.Awesome little dudes!
First profile view-what a adorable teeny-tiny nose!...And I'll bet his brother has one just like it.
We love all of your new little family.
Much love,
Aunt Carole and Uncle Steve
Hello in Twinland .....
Great job Daddy! It's sooooooo nice to see them together. Wow, they can pack it away with those feedings, that's great. Soon you will have the NICU days behind you and your family all together. Lots of people have been praying, God is good.
Uncle Greg and Aunt Vickie
Post a Comment