Sunday, December 23, 2007

Drake's First Bath

Who knew having one infant at home and one at the hospital would be so tiring and hard (actually we both did - just kidding). No post again last night. Bummer.

Last night we gave Drake his first bath at home. We were prepared for the worst, as a nurse at the hospital warned us that his first full bath would produce massive amounts of crying and wiggling. To our surprise Drake didn't scream or excessively wiggle. He actually liked it! In fact, the only time he complained at all was when Karol pulled off some band-aids from the hospital, and when he was was a little chilled while getting dried off. Sorry for the blurriness of some of the pictures below. I'm usually better with the camera.

Here is Drake with his mad face after Karol ripped the hospital band-aids off his legs. We are very lucky parents, because that's about as mad as Drake gets.


This is sleepy, happy Drake


This is "That was hard work. Now I'm hungry!" Drake, getting his hair washed for the first time.

These two are Drake making funny faces during the drying process.

Drake did better Saturday night compared to Friday night. We decided to put him in the Pack-and-Play in our bedroom and he seemed to be more restful and happy.

This morning (Sunday) I went to see Leo at the hospital. Last night he weighed in at a healthy 3 lb 12.2 oz. The doctors and nurses removed his oxygen supply Friday night and he has been on room air since then. Overall he is holding his own without help, but shortly before I arrived his nurse actually had to help him through an apnea spell by giving him a quick oxygen boost over his mouth. Kim met me there and we both took turns holding him for a good solid hour. During the whole time he looked very good and pink and didn't appear to have any spells.

It's 1:15 PM and Karol is heading up to the hospital to stay with Leo for awhile. While it is very nice to have Drake home, our situation is still very difficult with little Leo still in the hospital. We are hoping that Leo will be home within a week or so, but we aren't convinced that he'll be well enough by then.

I guess I have to go. I can hear the Drake eating machine calling me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, MATT! I was checking it almost every hour!! Love it love it love it, I can't wait to see you guys in a couple of days :) ♥

vickie said...

1ST BATH!! YIPEE!!

Sounds like you'll clearly enjoyed the experience as much as he did. It's good that he stayed calm thru out. A day once again of mixed emotions. I'm glad Kim had long lovely cuddles with Leo.

You sound fine, even if exhausted.

Uncle Greg and Aunt Vickie

Anonymous said...

Showed most of the blog to most of the family. Wish I was out there -- Take care

Anonymous said...

checking in from an internet cafe

Drake gets more adorable each day. He's a big boy now.

Great news about leo. Soon you'll have both boys to wiggle while bathing.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to all -- Carole is there physically, but we are both behind you in spirit -- Congrats on a first Christmas with the guys -- They will both be there in the years to come, pulling the ornaments off the tree, and all the work/pressure of this year will be a distant (and hopefully fond) memory -- Love you guys---