So I brought in the car seat, and they sat him in it for awhile to make sure he didn't have any preemie spells while sitting in it. Drake passed the test!! While Drake was sitting in the car seat, his nurse also did the Arizona-mandated newborn hearing test. Drake also passed that test with flying colors, though we knew he would because he responds to sounds around him. Here's a picture of Drake sitting in his car seat, with all the hardware for the hearing test stuck to his little head, snoozing after a big meal:

When I walked into the NICU today, I had another pleasant surprise. The boys' nurse practitioner told me that I needed to make appointments for both boys with their pediatrician next week! For the last few days, Leo has made huge improvements every day. He is now taking the majority of his feedings by bottle, he is having very few preemie spells, and we're really just waiting for him to get big and strong enough to not need the nasal cannula any more. His nurse practitioner thinks that will be within the next few days, but his nighttime nurse thinks he won't be ready to come home for closer to a week. Either way, it looks like both boys will be home before the New Year. Hallelujah!
Leaving the NICU tonight was bittersweet, because it is the last night the boys will spend together until Leo comes home. It is going to be absolutely heart wrenching for us to leave little Leo in the hospital tomorrow evening.

At last night's weigh in, Leo weighed 3 lb 10.2 oz, and Drake weighed 5lb 4.8 oz.
5 comments:
That is awesome news Karol and Matt. You two have really been inspiring with energy you put into the hospital routine. Looking forward to more great stories from the home front. It'll be fun to hear about Otis' and Penny's reaction to the boys.
Amazing! Hallelujah indeed! This is the cutest picture yet of the 2 together- Drake doesn't look premie at all anymore. What tough little champs they are; I am so thrilled that Leo T. is on such close heals to Drakey! And I wish I could be a mouse in the corner watching the two happy parents bring home the babies. Congratulation sweethearts!
For once, I want to hear Dave's favorite Xmas CD: The Messiah!!!! Hall- ayay- Lu- jaaaaaaah!!!
This is great news, great news. Dave and I BOTH want to hear all the Otis/Penny reactions to the boys, and the boys' reactions to being home. I bet the two of you can hardly wait to get both those boys in their bedroom, safe and snug.
That's wonderful news about Drake coming home. Leo is in a "almost home" holding pattern. Just a few more grams til freedom. It may seem like forever, but it will happen.
Please allow yourself to accept any help and comfort that is offered because your wellbeing is just as important as theirs. My hearfelt thanks for such a well documented story of their journey. I am touched beyond what I can express.
Uncle Greg and Aunt Vickie
Post a Comment