Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sick Babies

Last Monday, Matt started feeling under the weather. He felt a little worse on Tuesday, and by Wednesday he was downright sick with a nasty head cold, and he called in sick to work. Very early Friday morning, Leo's raspy, growly breaths broadcast over the baby monitor jolted us out of bed. Drake woke up a few hours later feeling pretty terrible too. Their first colds were bound to happen sooner or later. Matt and I are both glad that it didn't hit until they were big and strong, almost 9 month old boys.

We took the boys to their pediatrician later in the day, very nervous because it is common for preemies to have lung trouble with even mild colds. Leo was making scary noises with every breath, so we were very nervous that he was about to become a very sick little boy. The pediatrician listened to both boys' lungs and looked in their ears and at their throats. Both boys' lungs were completely clear - Leo's noisy breathing was caused by congestion in his nose, not his lungs. It was fantastic, wonderful news. The boys were also weighed at the office - Leo weighed 13lb 6oz and Drake weighed 15 lb 10 oz.

The boys didn't feel well all weekend. We dragged their swing out so they could take naps while sitting upright, to help with the congestion. Here's a photo of snuffly Leo waking up after a nap in the swing.


The cold didn't hit Drake quite as hard as it hit Leo. Here's Drake "helping" dad at the computer earlier today.


The boys are feeling much better today, but they still have a touch of congestion. Here's a photo of them playing before bedtime. Drake is carefully examining a wrinkle on the blanket, while Leo is looking straight ahead with sleepy baby eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pobrecitos!!!!

Brandi said...

My god, your boys are just beautiful, Karol! I'm sorry to hear that they were sick. But they sure are cute despite it! :)

Tabitha said...

I agree with Brandi... they are some cute kids!

BTW- I just learned that babies are always nose breathers... so a lot of time when we hear congestion or difficulty breathing, it's mostly nasal. But I agree, with premies, better safe than sorry! I am glad they are doing much better now!